Solved:Re: Defining variables in $UserBaseDirectory/init.m

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62209] Solved:Re: Defining variables in $UserBaseDirectory/init.m
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 04:16:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> Bill Rowe wrote:
>> I don't know what to tell you. I just copied the line you posted to the
>> end of my init.m file and started Mathematica to get the following
>> results:
>> In[1]:=$GuideBooksTOC
>> Out[1]=
>> "/usr/share/Mathematica/AddOns/GuideBooks/TableOfContents.nb"
>> In[2]:=$Version
>> Out[2]="5.2 for Mac OS X (June 20, 2005)"
> Wolfram tech support folks probably already hate me...

Nonetheless, they did provide a solution.  Use
$UserBaseDirectory/Kernel/init.m and not $UserBaseDirectory/FrontEnd/init.m
for adding such variables.

Perhaps I could find a way to add them to the FrontEnd context, but for now,
I don't care.  Thanks for the feedback Bill, that certainly helped resolve
the problem.

The Mathematica Wiki:
Math for Comp Sci
Math for the WWW: