Services & Resources / Wolfram Forums
MathGroup Archive
*Archive Index
*Ask about this page
*Print this page
*Give us feedback
*Sign up for the Wolfram Insider

MathGroup Archive 2005

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Autosave package problem - Mathematic 5.1 on OS X

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62244] Autosave package problem - Mathematic 5.1 on OS X
  • From: "J Siehler" <jsiehler at>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 04:15:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have a notebook with an intialization cell which is set to autosave a
.m file. The package has functions that build up some strings.

At some point today, I started having difficulty with loading my
package in another application.  Upon inspecting the .m file, I found
Mathematica had saved it as cell and box data, so it was full of
\[IndentingNewline]s and all the other formatting stuff that shouldn't
be in a .m, most of it all jammed into a single 5000-character-long

I have isolated the line that causes this to happen.
The line in question should read something like this (this is
simplified, but gives the point)

But whenever that line is included, Mathematica makes a .m which is
unreadable as a package.
If I change it to just
it saves it as it should save a package.

If I have any \[Sum] in there at all, as in,

then it saves it incorrectly, although there's no problem saving it if
I have
    text="foo\[Infinity]" or
or any of a variety of other special characters.  This is driving me up
a wall, and it's particularly frustrating since it started happening
with no provocation that I can identify - the desired line with
\[Sum]'s and all was in there earlier and it was making nice readable
.m files.  If anyone has a clue, I would be so very much obliged!
(Mathematica 5.1 on OS X 10.3 and 10.4)

  • Prev by Date: Re: mathematica2mono
  • Next by Date: Re: GUI-Kit Xserver Problem
  • Previous by thread: Re: DXF, OSG and Mathematica (OpenGL)
  • Next by thread: NMinimize hanging after many iterations