Autosave package problem - Mathematic 5.1 on OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62244] Autosave package problem - Mathematic 5.1 on OS X
  • From: "J Siehler" <jsiehler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 04:15:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a notebook with an intialization cell which is set to autosave a
.m file. The package has functions that build up some strings.

At some point today, I started having difficulty with loading my
package in another application.  Upon inspecting the .m file, I found
Mathematica had saved it as cell and box data, so it was full of
\[IndentingNewline]s and all the other formatting stuff that shouldn't
be in a .m, most of it all jammed into a single 5000-character-long
line.

I have isolated the line that causes this to happen.
The line in question should read something like this (this is
simplified, but gives the point)
     text="\!\(\[Sum]\+\(stuff\)\%\(stuff\)\(stuff\)\)";

But whenever that line is included, Mathematica makes a .m which is
unreadable as a package.
If I change it to just
     text="foo"
it saves it as it should save a package.

If I have any \[Sum] in there at all, as in,
     text="foo\[Sum]"

then it saves it incorrectly, although there's no problem saving it if
I have
    text="foo\[Infinity]" or
    text="foo\[CapitalSigma]"
or any of a variety of other special characters.  This is driving me up
a wall, and it's particularly frustrating since it started happening
with no provocation that I can identify - the desired line with
\[Sum]'s and all was in there earlier and it was making nice readable
.m files.  If anyone has a clue, I would be so very much obliged!
(Mathematica 5.1 on OS X 10.3 and 10.4)