Re: Hardcopy or electronic books?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62307] Re: [mg62293] Hardcopy or electronic books?
  • From: Renan <renan.birck at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:18:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 11/19/05, Steven T. Hatton <hattons at globalsymmetry.com> wrote:
> In an ongoing correspondence with an author of books related to Mathematica,
> the subject of hardcopy verses electronic media came up.  I contend that
> hardcopy remains valuable even though books can easily be distributed
> electronically.  I have several books in electronic form, and find that I
> do not tend to read them.  I much prefer having books in hardcopy.  Having
> the electronic form, especially if they consist of Mathematica notebooks is
> certainly valuable, but does not replace the functionality of traditional
> books with paper pages.

I don't like the concept of electronic books because it is harder for
me to follow the book (because I need to keep alternating windows on
my desktop, from the book viewer - e.g. Acrobat - to the program I'm
working on).

However, I'd like to see a Mathematica book that comes with a CD-ROM
that has notebooks that are useful for readers of the book, such as
examples and sample packages.

I've seen this concept used in a few programming books, and I
understand that this makes it easier because you don't have to type a
page of code and then check it for errors.
--
Thanks/obrigado, Renan "Wishmaster" Birck - Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
MSN: wizard_of_yendor at hotmail.com
Orkut: http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=2202360379963855296