Re: Re: Hardcopy or electronic books?

On 11/20/05, Steven T. Hatton <hattons at globalsymmetry.com> wrote:
> The Mathematica Book /is/ available in the HelpBrowser, and Mathematica
> certainly comes with a lot of pedagogical material.  I will observe that
> one mistake I made early on when learning Mathematica was to read too much
> into the "thou shall not reverse engineer" part of the license agreement.
> I took that to mean 'don't read the code in the packages'.  That was
> certainly a mistake.  There is a wealth of material in the files composing
> the packages, and I have neglected that as a resource.

I like having the Mathematica book in electronic form.

> I very much like having both the electronic form of a book, and hardcopy.  I
> spend a lot of time flipping through pages taking mental "snapshots" of
> parts I have not yet read.  For some reason, I have a better sense of where
> I am in a book when I hold it in my hand.

For sequential reading I prefer hardcopy books, but as a "reference
guide" I prefer using the electronic form, because if the book is
stored in (say) PDF format I can use Google Desktop Search to index it
together with other Mathematica materials (I think that there's a
Google Desktop Search plug-in to index Mathematica notebooks).
--
Thanks/obrigado, Renan "Wishmaster" Birck - Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
MSN: wizard_of_yendor at hotmail.com
Orkut: http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=2202360379963855296