Re: How to View Mathematica and Hardcopy Books

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62402] Re: How to View Mathematica and Hardcopy Books
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:12:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I used to criticise Mathematica for its poor number crunching performance,
but that was several years/versions ago now. For instance, in image
processing it is amazing what you can now do with the g and h functions in
ListCorrelate (see the Help Browser for details). I used to write C/C++
code, but I don't do it any more because the speed-up C/C++ gives me over
Mathematica is either non-existent or at best marginal. The type of coding I
am talking about here is large image processing types of applications.

The only sorts of operation that one doesn't yet seem to be able to do
efficiently in native Mathematica are low-level operations that cleverly
manipulate data at the byte or bit level; the sort of thing that is easy to
do in C/C++. I appreciate the reason why we users are not allowed to do
low-level programming within Mathematica, but it would be really useful if
power hungry users were allowed to write low-level code within Mathematica
(they take the risk for the consequences, lack of portability, etc).

As for MathCode C++. I have had this application since its original release
several years ago, in the days when Mathematica's compute speed was not as
good as now, so MathCode C++ did indeed give a very useful speed
improvement. However, I have stopped using it now because it doesn't give me
any speed advantage, except for really messy code that doesn't map well onto
Mathematica. Another problem I found was that it translates only a subset of
Mathematica to to C++, which is quite frustrating when you want to use
Mathematica as it was intended to be used. On the other hand, a very big
plus for MathCode C++ is that it produces code that can be distributed and
run for free.

Steve Luttrell

news:dluq88$ni1$1 at smc.vnet.net...