Re: Re: How to View Mathematica and Hardcopy Books

On 26 Nov 2005, at 16:46, Chris Chiasson wrote:

> What about reading a book for too long, or writing for too long, or
> standing for too long, or laying in bed too long?

I suspect doing any of the above long enough is deadly. So is not
doing any of the above.

> BTW, I have noticed there seem to be a dearth of stories about loss of
> data from hard drives that aren't in use (e.g. if the drive is left
> offline for a long time). How long does it take for hard drives to
> lose
> data when they aren't operating?

I have one such story. The first hard disk I ever had was a 20
megabyte one. When the average hard disk size was about 300 megabytes
I turned it off and put it away. Several years later I tried to turn
it on and it was as dead as a dead parrot. Obviously it was standing
for too long that did it.

Andrzej Kozlowski