Re: Problems with brackets when exporting postscript

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62542] Re: Problems with brackets when exporting postscript
  • From: carlos at colorado.edu
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:41:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Had that problem with lecture Notes that display Notebook
math fragments over the past 8 years.  Notes are done in TeX.
Fragments are inserted as EPS figures. The posted output is PDF.
For example

http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/CAS/courses.d/IFEM.d/IFEM.Ch21.d/IFEM.Ch21.pdf

Although the PDF may look OK on a computer, students sometimes
reported trouble printing those fragments, depending on the printer.
Reason: although Mathematica fonts are force-downloaded into the
PDF, some printers do not understand them and are substituted by
a default font, say Courier.  In the case of some (non replaceable)
fonts such as matrix delimiters and special math symbols,
you end up with garbage.

My solution: I postprocess each EPS file with Adobe Illustrator.
before inclusion in TeX. Any Mathematica font that may cause
trouble is replaced by a graphic object with the Outline tool.
PS code for graphic objects is universal: any printer on this planet
should render it correctly. Had not have trouble for years, except
when I forgot to to do in a new document.