Re: Hardcopy or electronic books?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62658] Re: Hardcopy or electronic books?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:08:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <dlp2e0$mt$1 at>, AES <siegman at>

> On the other hand, nothing replaces doing a full-text electronic search
> through a long electronic document or manual looking for some term;

Actually, there is another "type" of searching: The Wolfram Functions
site permits searching via Mathematica
patterns -- which is clearly an extension of text searching (see The
Mathematica Journal 9(4), 2005: 713-726 for Michael Trott's article).

To me, this is the most valuable type of search. Indeed, handbooks and
tables in electronic form are, in principle, much more valuable than

For example, suppose you want to find all formulas involving doubly
infinite sums at Just click on the
"Formula Search" tab and enter

into the Mathematica patterns field.

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)