Re: "Leibnitz" from for partial differentiation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61249] Re: "Leibnitz" from for partial differentiation?
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 05:53:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> I am not ture if I understand you correctly, but if you just enter
>
> D[f[x],x]  or Dt[f[x],x] and then (without evaluating !) use
> ConvertToTraditionalForm from the Cell menu you will get what you
> seem to be asking for.
>
> However, I do not know of any way to convert the result of evaluating
> D[f[x],x] or Dt[f[x],x] (both are just f'(x)) to this form; in fact I
> do not think it is possible without some convoluted FrontEnd
> programming.

Clearly you understood the essence of the question.  For my immediate
purposes that is very helpful, since I'm currently conserned with
typesetting of non-executable text.  Thank you.

I would still like to know how to use that notational form in executable
text, as well as to be able to change from one form to another globally
through stylesheets.

It is unfortunate that format and content are so tightly bound in the
current implementation of Mathematica.  It's certainly a challenge to
create a general means of presenting mathematical expressions based on
content.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-MathML2-20031021/
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...