Re: Re: Re: Language vs. Library

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61260] Re: [mg61236] Re: Re: Language vs. Library
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at jeol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 05:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Oct 13, 2005, at 1:39 AM, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> Try this:
>
> A = Array[a (10#1 + #2) &, {3, 3}]
> v = {x, y, z}
> A.v // MatrixForm
> Clear[A,v];
> A = Array[a (10#1 + #2) &, {3, 3}] // MatrixForm
> v = {x, y, z} // MatrixForm
> A.v
>
> Why are the results different?

MatrixForm is a wrapper which affects display but otherwise doesn't
change results.  The expression A = Array[a (10#1 + #2) &, {3, 3}] //
MatrixForm puts a head of MatrixForm on A so whenever A is displayed
it will be as a matrix rather than a list, likewise with the second
expression for v.  Taking two expressions with the head MatrixForm
and forming their inner product, as the second A.v does, results in
another expression with the head MatrixForm.

> Explain this:
>
> Clear[a, i]
> a[i] = eye;

You have associated the value eye with the symbol a[i]

> i = 3;

You have associated the value 3 with i

> a[3] = three;

You have associated three with a[3]

> Print["a[i]=", a[i]]

Since at this moment i evaluates to 3 this is equivalent the Print["a
[i]=",a[3]] and from the line above we know that a[3] is three so
this becomes Print["a[i]=",three] with the expected final result.

> Clear[i];

This dissociates i from the value 3, i's value is now i.

> Print["a[i]=", a[i]]

 From the first line we know that a[i]=eye so as with the previous
Print statement the result is unsurprising.

I am not sure what is supposed to be demonstrated here.

Regards,

Ssezi