Use strings in Mathematica, like in C?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg61354] Use strings in Mathematica, like in C?
  • From: Renan <renan.birck at>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:18:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In the C programming language I can operate directly over the
characters of a string, like:

int main() {

 char message[16] = "Hello!";

/* ... other code ... */

This mean: Change the (n+1)th character (in C, array starts at 0) to the
specified character.

Q: How can I obtain similar effect in Mathematica?

Thanks/obrigado, Renan "Wishmaster" Birck - Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
MSN: wizard_of_yendor at