MakeBoxes vs Format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60073] MakeBoxes vs Format
  • From: ted.ersek at tqci.net
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 02:13:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

We can use the following to change the way things
like (x/y) are displayed in output.

In[1]:=
  (** MakeBoxes definition **)
  MakeBoxes[Times[num_,den_^-1], form_]:=
    RowBox[{MakeBoxes[num, form],
      FractionBox[1,MakeBoxes[den,form]]
    }]

The following shows the boxes that are then displayed after
evaluating (x/y).

In[2]:=
  ToBoxes[x/y]

Out[2]=
  RowBox[{x,FractionBox[1,y]}]

-------------------
The MakeBoxes definition above is stored in  FormatValues[MakeBoxes]. The
next line removes the above definition.

In[3]:=
  FormatValues[MakeBoxes]=.

--------------------
The next line does almost the same thing as the MakeBoxes definition
above, but here I use a Format definition instead. This gives us TWO
format definitions stored in  FormatValues[Times]. Isn't that strange.

In[4]:=
  Unprotect[Times];
  (** Format definition **)
  Format[Times[num_,den_^-1]]:=
    DisplayForm[RowBox[{num,FractionBox[1,den]}]]

In[6]:=
  ToBoxes[x/y]

Out[6]=
  TagBox[RowBox[{x,FractionBox[1,y]}],DisplayForm]

-------------------

Mathematica checks for Format definitions before it uses MakeBoxes
definitions.

Format has no Hold attributes, but MakeBoxes has the HoldAllComplete
attribute. So we often have to use MakeBoxes as a pure function on the
right side of a MakeBoxes definition.
Example:  MakeBoxes[#,StandardForm]& @@{-n}

Most or all boxes (SubscriptBox, GridBox, FractionBox, ...) require
Strings or other boxes. So unless you know the argument of a box is a
String you have to call MakeBoxes on that argument.

QUSETIONS:

Is it possible to make a Format definition that makes the same output
boxes as the MakeBoxes definition above?  Not as far as I can tell.

What's up with the two rules we get in FormatValues[Times] after
evaluating the above Format definition?

When and why should we use (Format definitions) vs (MakeBoxes definition).

Are there any other pros and cons between use of MakeBoxes and Format?

   Ted Ersek  :)