Re: Re: Hardware question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg60386] Re: [mg60317] Re: Hardware question
  • From: Geir Sivertsen <blackscholes at>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:26:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I warmly recommend Mathematica with the 64-bit G5 processor from IBM
on the OSX platform. This processor performs excellent compared to
any other processor. The dual G5 power Mac also supports 8 GB memory.
Not only is the performance highly competitive, the OSX is based on a
UNIX-like BSD-kernel, and the whole package is by far more stable and
reliable than the Windows OS. The Linux platform is as reliable and I
like it a lot, but I find the smooth user interface of the OSX to be
superior, and I am not really sure whether 8 GB is supported on Linux?

Geir Sivertsen