Re: Mathemaica 5.2 are the 64 Bit an illusion !!!....?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg60611] Re: Mathemaica 5.2 are the 64 Bit an illusion !!!....?
- From: Dave Seaman <dseaman at no.such.host>
- Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:08:06 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Information Technology at Purdue
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:33:41 +0000 (UTC), LumisROB wrote: > Verified to fund both on Windows that on other OS : Mathematica 5.2 > and the 64 bit are an illusion. You try on any system to create 4 > numerical random matrixes of 10^4*10^4 elements (they should occupy > around 4GB.Mathematica uses the packeds array in which every number of > car occupies 8 bytes) but.... mathematica interrupts the calculation > for lack of memory . A tool that it affirms to be to 64 bit doesn't > have to do this...... or no? > Thanks for the help > Rob Incorrect. First of all, your arithmetic is wrong, since 10^4 * 10^4 * 8 is only 800 MB, not 4 GB. Secondly, I have created arrays bigger than 9 GB using Mathematica 5.2 on a Mac G5. -- Dave Seaman Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling. <http://www.commoncouragepress.com/index.cfm?action=book&bookid=228>