Re: Typing special symbols in text mode?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65447] Re: Typing special symbols in text mode?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 05:00:06 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 4/1/06 at 5:39 AM, rex.eastbourne at gmail.com (Rex Eastbourne)
wrote:

>I'm writing a problem set and would like to use special
>mathematical notation such as vector arrows, the special R for
>reals, subscripts and superscripts, and so on (both in equations
>and in English regular text comments). This would be easy to do in
>LaTeX, but can it be done in Mathematica? (I know about the "export
>to TeX" feature, but it would be nice not to have to go back and
>change notation after exporting to TeX.)

The answer to your question "can this be done?" is yes. But I doubt this is a very useful answer since there are a large number of things that can be done but the process may not be the most efficient way to achieve the final goal. And you've not really indicated your final goal.

What is the intent with the problem set you are creating? To be distributed to students? If so, how? If the final product is printed copy, then it might be reasonable to create everything from within Mathematica and print it from Mathematica. And clearly, if the final product is to be distributed electronically as Mathematica notebooks, the most efficient path would be to create things in Mathematica.