Re: Typing special symbols in text mode?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65452] Re: [mg65442] Typing special symbols in text mode?
  • From: ggroup at sarj.ca
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 05:00:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Rex,

On Saturday, April 1, 2006 at 5:39 AM, Rex Eastbourne wrote:

> I'm writing a problem set and would like to use special mathematical
> notation such as vector arrows, the special R for reals, subscripts and
> superscripts, and so on (both in equations and in English regular text
> comments). This would be easy to do in LaTeX, but can it be done in
> Mathematica?

Absolutely.

Using Keyboard Shortcuts:

Vector Arrows:
<symbol> <Ctrl-7> <Escape> vec <Escape> <Ctrl-Space>

Double-Struck R:
<Escape> dsR <Escape>

Subscripts:
<symbol> <Ctrl-_> <subscript expression> <Ctrl-Space>

Superscripts:
<symbol> <Ctrl-6> <superscript expression> <Ctrl-Space>

Unfortunately, I have not yet found what (if any) keyboard shortcut
can be used when a symbol has both a subscript and a superscript.  The
correct formatting can be obtained through pallets (BasicTypesetting),
but the keyboard equivalent doesn't appear for that situation.

Alternatively, use the various pallets to help you (access them
through File->Pallets.  For what you asked, take a look at the
BasicTypesetting, BasicInput, and CompleteCharacters pallets.

Often, the pallets will show you the equivalent keyboard form (if
available) that you can use instead.