Re: simplify a trig expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65495] Re: simplify a trig expression
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 06:55:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Actually, we have a system here called OWL that is similar to CalMaeth
and employs Mathematica and MathLink as its back-end engine.  We use it
in a calculus course aimed at students in biological sciences, social
sciences, and business; several units are on methods of integration.
Curiously, in our mainstream course (for students in math, computer
science, physical sciences, and engineerings) we cannot currently employ
that system mainly for logistical reasons (no lab space available) and
partly because we'd need to develop a richer set of exercises.

So I completely agree that using a CAS behind an on-line learning
management system is a sensible thing to do.  So is using CAS in a
different way, as a tool directly employed by students, to do more
interesting things (as I explained in another message).  As I originally
said, all I wanted to do was produce a demonstrably correct set of
answers to a handful of integration exercises that would be in a form
similar to what students would get by hand.  And although I have no
doubt that each and every one of the graduate teaching assistants who
will be grading our symbolic integration exam is capable of converting,
say, a student's answer of Cos[x]/(Sin[x] + 1) to Mathematica's result
of 2 Log[Cos[x/2] + Sin[x/2]], and vice versa, I did not want them to
have to waste time doing so: each grader has to read a question on 366
papers!  Hence my little exercise in trying to coerce Mathematica's form
into the paper-and-pencil form.

-
Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.