Re: Two independent y axes ?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg65511] Re: Two independent y axes ?
  • From: "Narasimham" <mathma18 at>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 06:51:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Geico Caveman wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to plot a bunch of functions and some data together. Some of the
> data and some of the functions have *very* different y range from the
> others. How do I create 2 independent y axes (like gnuplot - y and y2 axes)
> to show the data effectively ?
> And no, creating two different plots is *not* an option. So, instead of
> offering that suggestion, advise if this can be done in Mathematica, and if
> so, how.
When wishing  to derive satisfaction by seeing all data on a single
plot, I divide / multiply x or  y parameters by 10,100 etc., to bring
them within the same order of magnitude and dump them into a grid
using ImplicitPlot with same origin. E.g.,

<< Graphics`ImplicitPlot` ;
ImplicitPlot[ {x^2 +y^2 - x y == 3 , y^2 == - x^2 + 4 x - 3, y ==
Cos[x], (y+1)^2 == 3 x },{x,0,4}, {y,-2,2}] ;
(*  ---  Four common curves plot-assembled by Mathematica in proper
positions and proportions on common x and y axes  ---- *)