Re: simplify a trig expression

Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> I don't think the the example of Integrate[1/x, x] is strong evidence
> that the effot is "doomed to failure".
>
> The usual answer Log[Abs[x]] that most textbook teach is rather silly,

OK, that's your opinion. It doesn't happen to be mine.

> since it suggests (although of course does not logically imply) that one
> could use that formula together with the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
> to evaluate Integral[1/x, {x, a, b}] over an interval with a < 0 < b.
> And of course the result would be nonsense because neither Integral[1/x,
> {x, a, 0}] nor Integral[1/x, {x, 0, b}] converges.

True, they don't converge. But it's interesting that, if one does what you
say is suggested, then the result does make perfectly good sense as a
Cauchy principal value. [Note that I'm _not_ saying that the method is
correct, that you should mention Cauchy principal values to your class,
etc.]

> I would much prefer
> if textbooks would say, like Mathematica, that Integrate[1/x] has value
> Log[x] over intervals of positive reals, whereas Integrate[1/x] has
> Log[-x] over intervals of negative reals; the absolute value function in
> this context, in my experience, just obfuscates the issue.

Can we get Mathematica to say that Integrate[1/x, x] is something like

Which[x > 0, Log[x], x < 0, Log[-x]]  ?

It seems to me that's what you'd like when x is real, but surely we can't
get Mathematica to give us such.

Look below at what you said you were trying to do. I still say that it
must be doomed to failure. But I can't see that you need to do that. My
main point in my previous response was in my last paragraph: If you can
depend on the mathematical intelligence of your graders, then you don't
need to have Mathematica give answers in a particular form.

Regards,
David Cantrell