Re: Net/Link: TimeContrained call to DLL

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65600] Re: [mg65567] Net/Link: TimeContrained call to DLL
  • From: Todd Gayley <tgayley at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 04:04:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 11:45 PM 4/7/2006, peter.aptaker at gmail.com wrote:
>I am calling a DLL via Net/Link ? (Unfortunately I do not have the
>sourcecode for the DLL). Should TimeConstrained work? e.g.
>
>TimeConstrained[muNetDLLCall[etc etc]];

Peter,

I'm afraid that TimeConstrained won't have any effect. Once you jump out of
the kernel and into a DLL, niceties like TimeConstrained go out the window.
If you had the source code to the DLL, you could modify the function so
that it periodically checked whether the user (or TimeConstrained) had
tried to interrupt it from Mathematica. But since you don't have the source
code, you're out of luck.

Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research