Re: Problem with the Hannan Rissanen procedure

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65620] Re: [mg65553] Problem with the Hannan Rissanen procedure
  • From: Darren Glosemeyer <darreng at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 04:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The Inverse message will get generated if an inverse is taken of a badly
conditioned matrix, for instance, a matrix with very different row scales.

In[1]:= Inverse[{{1., 10.^-6}, {10.^-16, 10.^-10}}]

Inverse::luc: Result for Inverse of badly conditioned matrix
                -6         -16       -10
     {{1., 1. 10  }, {1. 10   , 1. 10   }} may contain significant
numerical errors.

                                -6       10
Out[1]= {{1., -10000.}, {-1. 10  , 1. 10  }}

It is tough to say whether or not this should be cause for concern in your
case without seeing an explicit example.

In a few examples I tried, the message was returned when the values of
kmax, pmax, qmax were larger (around 5 for each in my case), but the
message was not returned when these values were reduced.  This seemed to
indicate to me that bad conditioning came about as a result of trying to
fit the larger models, which in the end were not among the best models
chosen for the data.  One possible check, assuming this is also the case
for your examples, would be to re-run HannanRissanenEstimate with kmax,
pmax, qmax reduced to match the largest values in the numModels chosen
models.  If the message is no longer issued, the new results can be used
without worrying about ill-conditioning.

Darren Glosemeyer
Wolfram Research