A conditional random number generation problem (please help me!)
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg65650] A conditional random number generation problem (please help me!)
- From: "rjmachado3" <rjmachado3 at portugalmail.pt>
- Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 05:59:58 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I need to know the formula for the random function that return random numbers in a range of a and b integers [a,b] but that obey on a custom probability (possibly different!) for each integer number on this [a,b] range (of course the sum of all integer number probabilities are = 1!). Finally, what i want is the general function formula that simulate the random behavior (based on a custom probability value for each integer number between the [a,b] range. confuse? i hope not! please help me!!!! what i know so far is that the function formula for generating a "pure" random number between [a,b] range is: rand()*(b-a)+a where rand() return a random number between 0 and 1.