Re: using Legend package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65669] Re: [mg65607] using Legend package
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:00:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Rudy,

Legends are very difficult to use and control. Legends are often too large
and dominate the graphics at the expense of the actual data. I never use
MultipleListPlot directly or Legend. It is far easier to simply draw the
elements you want in the graphics.(Map Point or PlotSymbol onto you points
to get the points and wrap the points in Line to get the curve.) If there
are only a few curves and they are cleanly separated at some point, you can
directly label the curves with Text statements. If the curves are not easy
to directly label you can construct your own legend by simply drawing short
lines labeled with Text statements directly on an unfilled portion of the
plot. You can even draw ShadowBox in which to put these elements, although
it is better without it.

If you are just using Points and Lines you can put all this together with

Show[Graphics[
  {graphics directives and primitives}],
overall plot options..]

If you want to also include fitted curves or ErrorBars, then I would use the
DrawGraphics package from my web site which will convert all these elements
to graphic primitives so you can include them just like the other elements.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: rudy [mailto:rud-x at caramail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hello everybody,
 I'd like to insert legends in my graphics.
 I'm trying to use Legend package for that, but in the help browser, there
are too few indications on the way tu use it efficiently.
 So I wonder if anybody could help me by giving me a link to a page which
explain in detail. Or some detailed examples or anything.
 Thank you very much for help.
Rudy