Re: Problems with DirectoryName
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg65708] Re: Problems with DirectoryName
- From: "David Reiss" <dbreiss at gmail.com>
- Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 01:45:15 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi Janko, DirectoryName takes a path in the syntax for a path in the computer OS that it is executed in and returns a Directory name in that same syntax. If you give it a path in the syntax of another computer's OS then it simply thinks that you have given it a pure string (with no $PathnameSeparator appearing in it) and hence returns the Blank that you wittnessed in your second case. Cheers, David Janko Slavic wrote: > Hi! > > I would like to get the directory name out of a full path filename > string. > It seems like the DirectoryName is not working the same with "\\" or > "/". > > DirectoryName["d:\\temp\\test.txt"] => d:\temp\ > DirectoryName["d:/temp/test.txt"] => Blank > > I would like the solution to be platform independent. > Any advices are greatly appreciated!