A Conditional File Import

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66076] A Conditional File Import
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:33:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a way to do a conditional import of a file
into Mathematica.  Say I wrote some code to process a lot of data and
it takes a long time to complete.  After it's done, I save my results
by exporting to a text file.  When I come back later (months
later...) to pick up where I left off, I'd like to avoid
inadvertently, and because of poor memory, running that long script
again if I already have the results on my hard drive (you would think
that I'd have the sense to check first, but no).

I was thinking of a script that would work something like this:

If there is a file X
	then
		import the file
	else
		[message] "The darn thing doesn't exist!"
		Reprocess the raw data --- [message] "Better make some coffee."
End if

	Regards,

		Greg