Re: Illusory Multicore Support in 5.2?

I could guess. Mathematica likes to eat up 100% cpu and hog all of the
memory for a variety of kernel inputs (like some problems where it is
inverting a large symbolic matrix, or whatever). This is not to say
that I think the problem should be solvable, but maybe that the
computer should at least remain responsive. Maybe they decided to set #
kernel threads = # processors - 1 to improve responsiveness under high
load? Like I said, a guess - from a non-expert.