DDE input in Mathematica 5.2

I would like to know if there is a simple way to read real time data into
Mathematica 5.2 using DDE.
The data are supplied by another program.
Normally I can import the data in real time with Excel.
DDE is a standard communication system among applications under windows, so
I would expect it to be available in Mathematica too, but I have not found much
information about it

Thanks
Alex