Zero times a variable in numerical calculations

Dear All

I have the following problem.

In: 0.0 a

Out 0. a

I would like to have that

In: 0.0 a

Simplifies to

Out: 0

SetPrecision[0.0 a,10^-100] works, but I am a bit puzzled

0.0 ====0 returns true

0.0 a ==== 0 a returns unevaluated to 0.0 a ==== 0

This seems inconsistent to me.

1) Could anyone explain me the logic behind this?

2) What is the fastest way to multiply a numerical matrix times a half numerical half analytical sparse matrix, whereby the result is band diagonal. (The current result has 0. a + 0. b + 0. c + 0. d + 0. e + 0. f on all places where it should be zero.)

Thanks in advance.

Maurits Haverkort