Re: ContourPlot and finite approximation to level sets

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68653] Re: [mg68629] ContourPlot and finite approximation to level sets
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:44:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Let my bumbling converted to experience be your guide:

It is possible to extract contours from graphs, though you should
remember that the contour lines are only approximate. If your function
is complicated, you may want to try a numerical solution for the
contour. Also, be careful that you aren't trying to obtain a contour
from a (fine grained) discrete function that doesn't actually take on
the value of your contour.

Here is an example of contour extraction:
In[1]:=
In[2]:=
Reap[Graphics@
        ContourPlot[f[x,y],{x,-5,6},{y,-5,5},Contours\[Rule]{2},
          ContourShading\[Rule]False]/.xpr:Line[___]\[RuleDelayed]
        Sow[xpr]][[2]]

You may also want to look at InequalityPlot and ImplicitPlot.

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/