RE: memory issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68807] RE: [mg68751] memory issues
  • From: "Virgilio, Vincent - SSD" <Vincent.Virgilio at itt.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:41:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Perhaps this will help answer your last question:

In[1]:=

m=Table[ByteCount[Range[i]],{i,10}]
Rest[m]-Most[m]

Out[1]=

{60,64,68,72,76,80,84,88,92,96}

Out[2]=

{4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4}

Each exact integer added to the list (from Range) uses an additional 4
bytes.  Then, 4 * 125*^6 = 500*^6, which is about the memory footprint
you note for DAT below.

Vince Virgilio

(However, I notice ByteCount[{1}] != ByteCount[Range[1], i.e. 40 != 60.
ByteCount does not have Hold attributes, so it shouldn't see
Range[1]---does it somehow?)