path along equi-contours

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg68945] path along equi-contours
  • From: "Skip Egley" <Skip.Egley at>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 05:34:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have a rather complicated scalar function over real space, let's call it S(x,y,z).
Would it be possible to get Mathematica to find the equi-contours of this function spaced by a certain delta S, and delta x, delta y, delta z, or better yet, delta l = sqrt ( (delta x)^2 + (delta y)^2 + (delta z)^2 )?
That's a small l above (delta l), for line length.
Now that I think about it, I would have to give it an error tolerance, let's say epsilon. So it would need to find S sub i (for the i'th value) plus or minus epsilon.
It sounds so easy to say, or write down, but I don't even know where to start to have Mathematica do this.