efficient term collection algorithm

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg69155] efficient term collection algorithm
  • From: Blake Laing <laing at>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 04:39:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear Math Group

I wish to combine terms in a expression which share a denominator, such
as in the following simple case:

(a + c)/i + b/j

The actual expression I am working with contains thousands of terms, and
a pairwise algorithm such as this is wholly inadequate. Will one of you
please suggest a more efficient way to combine each additive term in a
large expression with a shared denominator?

Blake Laing
physics grad student
University of Oklahoma