RE: RE: Functional decomposition (solving f[f[x]] = g[x] for given g)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71872] RE: [mg71839] RE: [mg71764] Functional decomposition (solving f[f[x]] = g[x] for given g)
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 06:22:31 -0500 (EST)

Some further comments on the equation f(f(x)) = g(x):
For the case g(x) = exp(x) some work have been done, see
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/index/39-XX.html  ,
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/99/sqrt_exp
and http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/newton/askasci/1993/math/MATH023.HTM .
(found by a Google search for "f(f(x))")

However, I have not penetrated deeply enough into all references to really
see if there are good methods to find (precise) numerical values for at
least one solution of the equation. Or a plot...

But some thoughts further, somewhat fishing on deep water: If we have a
function g(x) that is such that g(0)=0 (or g(x0)=x0 for some x0) and where
g(x) also has a Maclaurin expansion with a positive first coefficient, it
should be easy to find a Maclaurin series which composed to itself is
identical to that of g(x). Examples of such functions g(x) are sin(x) and
sinh(x). Then there is the question if this series converges in some range,
I have not tested yet. (In the links above they refer to a theorem by Polya,
stating that convergence range must be limited.) For some other functions,
we could also think of expansions in x^(Sqrt(2)).
Suppose that we find such a function f(x) for g(x) = sinh(x), name it
fsinh(x), with convergence in some region near origo. Then it might be
possible to extend that to the whole axis if we for any x apply ginv (the
inverse of g) a number of times until we reach the convergence region. (we
might have to use extended precision.) There we apply f, and then apply g
the same number of times as we did with ginv. Then we should have obtained
f(x).

If we now look at the case g(x) = exp(x), we can note that if x > 20, exp
and 2*sinh are essentially identical (to machine precision). Thus we could
assume that fsinh(x)*Sqrt[2] is a good approximation of the solution f(x)
for g(x)=exp(x) and x>20, and then we might use the same procedure as for
g(x)=x^2+1 to extend this to zero. With the power of Mathematica available,
just a few lines of code maybe are all that is needed. But maybe some devils
are hiding in the details?

Is there anyone who knows more about this?

Ingolf Dahl