Re: Mathematica "Interpolation" function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72015] Re: Mathematica "Interpolation" function
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 06:18:05 -0500 (EST)

In article <ek98a7$jpi$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Lorents <lorenzo at amp.fi> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how mathematica produces interpolations in 1D
> with the "Interpolation" command. I understood it uses piecewise
> polynomial of the degree specified by InterpolationOrder.
> As far as I understand this method never produces truly smooth functions
> as nothing is done to elimitate the jump discontinuities in the
> derivatives of the joined polynomials.

Yes -- but note that if you know any derivatives you can pass them to
Interpolation. From the online help:

 Data can be given in the form {{x1, {f1, df1, ddf1, ...}, ...} to
 specify derivatives as well as values of the function at the points xi.
 You can specify different numbers of derivatives at different points.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul