RE: FullSimplify and HypergeometricPFQ

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72050] RE: [mg72035] FullSimplify and HypergeometricPFQ
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 04:48:56 -0500 (EST)

I doubt if you will ever get a full description of how Simplify and
FullSimplify work.

I consider Simplify and FullSimplify as 'gifts from heaven'. When they do
what I want, which they often do, great. When they don't, then I don't try
to mess around with ComplexityFunction because that isn't very precise but
only tends to push the result one way or the other. Rather, I resort to
'microsurgery' on the expression, using rules, replacements of specific
parts and things like that.

My experience is, that with a little practice, it is possible to manipulate
expressions and simplify them in a way that a reader could understand and
follow. Sometimes one does have to directly employ specific mathematical
theorems or identities to carry out a derivation. But it still can be done
within Mathematica.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: guy.verhofstadt at gmail.com [mailto:guy.verhofstadt at gmail.com]

Hi,
I have a question regarding something that Mathematica can do via the
command FullSimplify.
I use it to prove an identity between HypergeometricPFQ's. However it
would be helpful to me to see how Mathematica proves it. How can I get
access to the intermediate expressions and the transformations applied?
Also, is there a definite list of all the things FullSimplify will try
in Automatic setting?
Thank you very much