Re: How can a dump file with 1.28MB have nothing in it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72402] Re: How can a dump file with 1.28MB have nothing in it?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 04:52:35 -0500 (EST)

doesitinmud wrote:
>   I have been saving my intermediate results to a dump file during the
> course of a very large notebook (~10MB, ~800 lines).  I decided to
> begin a new notebook, and begin it by opening the dump file.  When I
> started a new notebook and loaded the dump file, I could no longer find
> any of the symbol definitions saved from the old notebook.  How did
> this happen?  How can I retrieve the information in the dump file?

How can anyone answer this question - as you have supplied no code! I
must say, however, I would not store important results in binary format
- it probably takes up less disk space, but if something goes wrong, you
have nothing. If you ARE going to use DumpSave, I would at least check
that it is working as you expect early on in the process.

Are you performing a calculation that takes an excessively long time to
run, and if so, are you sure this could not be speeded up in some way so
that there is no need to do the calculation in several stages.

If you supply more details of your problem, I am sure someone here will
be able to help - although probably not to salvage your previous results!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk