Using sockets for "downloader" application in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64288] Using sockets for "downloader" application in Mathematica
  • From: Renan <renan.birck at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:45:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I have a Mathematica program which will read data from a file.
The file is in a Web server and so must be retrieved,
so I use

!"wget http://URL/filename";

In Linux this is OK, but in Windows this is a source of trouble for me,
as Windows doesn't have a 'wget' by default.

So, is there some way to implement a "downloader" for a file in
Mathematica?

Running Mathematica 5.2, Windows XP.

Thanks,
Renan.