Solve or Reduce?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg64363] Solve or Reduce?
- From: Math Novice <math_novice_2 at yahoo.com>
- Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 01:31:39 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I'm looking to solve the equation (13 Cos[q]-(5+8 Cos[f]))^2+(13 Sin[q]-(7+8 Sin[f]))^2?49 so that I can graph phi as a function of theta in the first quadrant only. A graph of the solution obtained using the Solve command produces unexpected results and I haven't used Mathematica much so I'm having trouble intrepreting the results that the Reduce operation produces. I understand that the solution is periodic but can someone interpret what the other symbols in the solution mean, e.g., C, &&, || etc.?