Re: Solve or Reduce?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg64398] Re: Solve or Reduce?
- From: Renan <renan.birck at gmail.com>
- Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:32:23 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Math Novice, in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica: > > I'm looking to solve the equation > > (13 Cos[q]-(5+8 Cos[f]))^2+(13 Sin[q]-(7+8 Sin[f]))^2?49 > > so that I can graph phi as a function of theta in the first quadrant only. > A graph of the solution obtained using the Solve command produces unexpected results and > I haven't used Mathematica much so I'm having trouble intrepreting the results that the > Reduce operation produces. > I understand that the solution is periodic but > can someone interpret what the other symbols in the solution mean, e.g., C, &&, || etc.? C, C, ... C[n] = arbitrary constant && = "And" operator (e.g. True && False == False, True && True == True) || = "Or" operator (e.g. False || True == True, False || False == True)