Re: Re: Using a text editor like interface for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64498] Re: [mg64477] Re: Using a text editor like interface for Mathematica?
  • From: Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:36:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

grub_snuffler at yahoo.com wrote:

>>An option to avoid the tab issue is to use InputForm instead of
>>StandardForm.
>>

>I don't know how this works.  There seemed to be a function that would
>convert between what's shown in Mathematica and how I would type it (good for
>importing to a text file or if I was using the command line kernel
>input), but I don't see (or can't find) any way to get Mathematica to allow me
>to do my own formatting.
>
>Am I missing something here?  Changing from one format to another
>doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.
>
>Here's my challenge:  tell me of a way that I can get Mathematica to allow me
>to tab whenever I want, regardless of whether Mathematica thinks it's
>appropriate.   This kind of restricted behaviour I'm currently
>experiencing is what I expect from MS Word, not from a programming
>environment.  I know it sounds like I'm complaining about something
>trivial, but the ability to format easily leads to readable code, which
>leads to productive work.

I am not sure how/if I got my Options Inspector mungled, but I have no
trouble tabbing :-) . But there is also an issue of whitespace when it
comes to the front end, here is a link to that, hope it is relevant

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_frm/thread/a476a5edbb4d969d/1a772d50d337ddbd?q=whitespace&rnum=1#1a772d50d337ddbd