Re: LeftClick+Shift+Enter Reassign

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64512] Re: [mg64506] LeftClick+Shift+Enter Reassign
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 06:29:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

James,

On Windows at least, right click brings up a context-menu and if you
reassign right-click I would think you would lose that.

One feature that many users are unaware of is that instead of using
Shift-Enter to evaluate cells, you can use just the Enter on the numerical
keyboard. I use a trackball instead of a mouse, and by placing it right next
to the numeric keyboard I can quickly leftclick in a cell and hit the Enter
button with my thumb. Not quite as convenient as what you want, but still
much better than a mouse and Shift-Enter.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: James Gilmore [mailto:james.gilmore at yale.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hello Mathgroup,

I would like to have an efficient way to assign my mouse right click to
perform the following keystroke: "Left click, shift+enter". I want this so
I can merely move my mouse cursor over the cell i want to evaluate in my
Mathematica session, and then just press right click on my mouse, i.e. I do
not want to have to first left click to get the cursor in the cell. I also
do not want to modify the Shift+Enter=EvaluateCells[] on the keyboard,
since this is a standard adopted by the good people at WRI and should be
kept as such.

I have searched the on redefining the EvaluateCells command in Mathematica
in Mathgroup. There have been two relevant posts that I can find. The first
is where you modify the keyboard assignments:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread
/thread/bc277bc409040d08/6b4e2b07a25a42c2?q=%22shift-enter%22&rnum=2#6b4e2b0
7a25a42c2>
This is the type of modification I want, but I want to reassign the right
mouse button. Does anyone know where that file is located?

The second relevant post is on a palette button to perform Shift+Enter
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread
/thread/b03df29477a52ccd/dea15838587ec74a?q=%22shift-enter%22&rnum=1#dea1583
8587ec74a>.
I mention this post, since if we can find a way to use a mouse key to
execute a cell, our Mathematica presentations will run much smoother.

I have this implemented outside of Mathematica, using a compiled script and
customizable mouse buttons, so the script runs when I right click with my
mouse. But it is slow to use a .exe script, to perform "left click,
shift+enter". However, the script has made my Mathematica sessions so much
more enjoyable that I am searching for a faster and more stable method that
is implemented inside of Mathematica. It really does make Mathematica alot
easier to use!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

James Gilmore