Re: SetOptions with Column

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64522] Re: SetOptions with Column
  • From: Cca <cca at>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 06:30:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

David Park wrote:

>Generally I wouldn't think it is worth detailed formatting of a GridBox for
>a homework assignment.

You are RIGHT in your use of a vertical GridBox for equations with equal signs properly aligned. This is the NATURAL thing to do. I do this in Mathematica for teaching and I used this in LaTex many years ago. This is common in typesetting.

You have to set the ColumnAlignments suboption of GridBoxOptions:

However, the solution below also works for grids with the "normal" = (the infix for Set):

LongEqual (ESC+l=+ESC) has the advantage that it is interpreted as Equal (and not as Set). Did you know that? If I´m not mistaken, LongEqual appeared in Mathematica 5.0. Also, it seems that historically the equal sign was more close to LongEqual! (See

Using the Option Inspector, you can set this option at many levels: on a specific grid (that you must select), on a whole cell or for all cells in your notebook. Below I give you a button to make this even easier:

(*begin here*)
(*end here*)

(By the way, one can make MIRACLES with Mathematica buttons and palettes!! And I´ll will look forward to even better possibilities with Mathematica 6.)

Use DisplayForm to generate the button (although I have anoter button that do this more quickly). You can drop the

to get a more flexible solution.

Hope this helps.

Carlos César de Araújo
Gregos & Troianos Educacional