Matrix multiplication problem fixed via dot operation.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64552] Matrix multiplication problem fixed via dot operation.
  • From: Chris Young <c1572young at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 05:58:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To answer my own posting, it looks like the "dot" operator is needed
when the matrices aren't both square.

E.g.: a row vector with components a and b times a column vector with
components c and d will yield the correct result, the dot-product.

I'm still puzzled why Mathematica doesn't do the same thing without the dot.

Chris Young