Re: Re: Counting circles (digital image processing)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64548] Re: Re: Counting circles (digital image processing)
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 05:58:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, and huuu

K-means and all of its variants work on the
distribution of the
pixel values and do abolut nothing with the
geometrie
of the objects shown in the picture ...

The OP need the number of extended geometric
objects, in
the worst case that are white circles on an black
background
and the distribution has a peak at 0 and one at 1
and nothing
more ... K-means will find the threshold to
binarize the image
if it is nor already, but it will never find
connected pixels.

The image processing package has a connected
component labeling
*and* a distance transform (don't know which one)
and it should be
simple to count the circles and get the radius.
The only
problem may be, that the images are extrem noisy
or the circle shape
can be seen only when one looks at the gradients
of the image and not
onto the intensity, but in both cases K-means help
nothing.

Regards
  Jens

"Maarten van der Burgt"
<maarten.vanderburgt at icos.be> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dte258$rde$1 at smc.vnet.net...

| Hallo,
|
| I think the function KMeans[ ] in the Digital
Image Processing package is
| the clustering function you are looking for.
| Have a look in the User`s Guide section 7.5
Segmentation by Clustering.

| Maarten
|

||--------+--------------------------------->
||        |          "Jens-Peer Kuska"      |
||        |          <kuska at informatik.uni-l|
||        |          eipzig.de>             |
||        |                                 |
||        |          18/02/2006 08:49       |
||        |                                 |
||--------+--------------------------------->
|
 >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  |

|  |       To:     mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
|
|  |       cc:
|
|  |       Subject: [mg64548]      Re: Counting circles
(digital image processing)

 >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|

| Hi,
|
| label the connected components in the binarized
image.
| For the radius I would suggest to use a distance
transform on
| the binary image and the maximum value of the
distance transform
| in every single unconnected component is your
radius

| Regards
|  Jens
| "Alexander" <beginning.physst at mail.ru> schrieb