Re: General--Making the DisplayFormula style in ArticleModern look like Traditional

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64603] Re: General--Making the DisplayFormula style in ArticleModern look like Traditional
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:35:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <dthhpd$nhn$1 at smc.vnet.net>, box2718-news at yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm still attempting to use Mathematica to typeset homework. I'm having all
> sorts of difficulty trying to figure out how to get Mathematica to do what I
> want it to do, so I appreciate any help that you can give. I don't have a
> particularly deep question right now, but I am acutely aware that I don't
> really feel like I know what is going on.
>
> I'm using the articlemodern style, and very frequently use the style
> "display formula". I would like the formulas that I write to come out
> looking like TraditionalForm, but they default to StandardForm. I can
> certainly change this every time I read a formula, but it would be nice to
> be able to edit the style sheet so that it defaults to TraditionalForm
> instead of StandardForm. Try as I might, though, I haven't been able to do
> this.  Any suggestions?

If you do

  Format | Edit Style Sheet ...

and go to the Formulas and Programming Section and select the
DisplayFormula style and then do

  Format | Show Expression

you will see that one option for cells of this type is

 DefaultFormatType->DefaultInputFormatType

Now, since I bet that your DefaultInputFormatType is StandardForm, you
will see why formulas in DisplayFormula style are in StandardForm.

Personally, I think that this default setting is wrong. For display
formulas you nearly always want

  DefaultFormatType->TraditionalForm

so, if you change this in the Style Sheet everything will work as
expected. You can also change the Notebook or Global settings of the
DefaultFormatType using

  Format | Option Inspector

and modfifying the appropriate CommonDefaultFormatTypes.

Alternatively, if you change

  Cell | Default Input FormatType

to TraditionalForm (which is my preference for Input and Output) then
you will get formulas in TraditionalForm.

For some examples of typeset homework, have a look at Solutions2004.nb
and Solutions2005.nb at

  http://physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/ElectroMagnetism/Exams/Solutions/

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul