Re: 3D Graphics suggestions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64661] Re: [mg64630] 3D Graphics suggestions?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 02:53:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sensei,

You could try

<<RealTime3D`
plot statement
<<Default3D`

but it throws away graphics primitives such as color and thickness. You
rotate with the mouse and zoom with the mouse by holding down Ctrl.

Also you shouldn't overlook SpinShow, which works and is a quick way to
rotate an object. Also defining a frame[parameter_]:=... and then using the
Animate command is a good way to make animations. Maybe this will not
completely serve your purposes but I usually find these simple procedures
completely effective. The idea of interactivity is not always that much
better than a controlled animation - especially if the viewer is someone
else who doesn't know how to control it.

You can use the arrow keys to advance one frame at a time. 'p' to pause and
restart. 'c' to view in the ForwardBackward mode.

If you want to combine various surfaces in 3D, and not just lines, then the
DrawGraphics package at my web site has routines for that and the
DrawGraphics palette has a button to paste in the commands to select,
closeup and start an animation.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Sensei [mailto:senseiwa at mac.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi!

I'm new to Mathematica (5.2), and I find it really wonderful, even
though not always obvious :) My question is simple.

I need to plot multiple 3d graphic objects, mainly lines with different
color/thickness attributes, allowing some easy manipulation, just zoom
and rotations (pan is not necessary).

I've found two packages, one is SuperWidgetPackage, the other is
MathGL3d. The problem is that none of them seem to work correctly.
SuperWidgetPackage can show 3d graphics, but it seems to me attributes
do not work. The other one, MathGL3d does not even start when <<'ing
the package showing a syntax error (I know, on library.wolfram.com
there's writtne ``works with Mathematica 3.x and 4.0'', but I gave it a
try...).

Can you suggest a simple package for doing these ``interactive'' plots
(or redirect me to a more appropriate newsgroup if necessary)? I don't
really need anything sophisticated... :)

Thanks to anyone!

--
Sensei <senseiwa at mac.com>

Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently
programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest. (Isaac Asimov)