Re: Practical time limits with Solve[] and similar functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63784] Re: Practical time limits with Solve[] and similar functions
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 02:32:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

no, this is not fair. The list of all solutions of a set of equations can be
extreme huge and this take time
to handle and worst of all it may exceed the physical memory limit and your
computer will
swap part of tis memory to the hard disk ..

I had a complicated eigenvalue equation where I need the eigenvalues --
Mathematica 3.0 took
three weeks ...

Regards
  Jens