Practical time limits with Solve[] and similar functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63732] Practical time limits with Solve[] and similar functions
  • From: "Christopher Arthur" <pantagruel123 at aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 03:22:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

When I run Solve, Eliminate, Reduce and similar equation-solving routines, I
 find that there are basically two ways that they run.  The first is that within 20 seconds or so, the routine completes, and I get a solution.  The second way is that it runs for a few minutes or longer, and I lose patience and abort it, assuming that it just got stuck and will never solve it.

Is it fair to assume that if it doesn't get it in a minute or so, that it's
probably never going to get it, even if you let it run all week long?

What's the longest anyone has seen these commands run with successful results in the end?  I know it depends on the type of equations that you are using, so I'll say I'm interested in systems of polynomial + linear equations.

Christopher Arthur