Re: Fontsize and scaling of graphic objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63920] Re: Fontsize and scaling of graphic objects
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 00:52:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 1/20/06 at 4:32 AM, maarten at stack.nl (Maarten) wrote:

>I was wondering if there is some way of getting text to scale with
>the graphics sizes and to specify the textsize in terms of relative
>coordinates. That is, I was the text to rescale along with my
>image, without resorting to manually changing the fontsize to refit
>the text.

>This might require a function to render the text as a vector object
>and then inserting it into the graphics object.

>Does something like this exist, or is there some other trick?

I suggest looking at the packages that can be found at MathSource for Hershey fonts. These fonts were developed for basically the same purpose you have in mind. And the Mathematica implementation of these fonts returns a graphics object. So, the size of the characters changes with the size of the graphic when the graphic is re-scaled to a different size.

Note, the package as it exist now does not automatically size characters given a particular graphic. You have to supply the size you want things to be initially. However, it probably would not be difficult to modify the package so that the character size was computed from something else convenient.