Mathematica 5.2 multithreading using Debian

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63955] Mathematica 5.2 multithreading using Debian
  • From: Jeff Armitstead <jeffa at ieee.org>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:11:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've been testing the multithreading capability of Mathematica 5.2 using a twin Xeon box running Debian Sarge with a 2.4 kernel.

Unfortunately the kernel crashes when I run Karl Unterkofler's benchmark with:

"OMP abort: Unable to set worker thread stack size to 4195328 bytes
Try reducing KMP_STACKSIZE or increasing the shell stack limit."

I've tried both suggestions to no avail.  The benchmark will run fine if multithreading is turned off with "export  OMP_NUM_THREADS=1".

I suspect the problem is in the threads library I have.  Anyone had any luck with Debian say running a different kernel or a later glibc (I'm running 2.3.5)?

Cheers,

Jeff.